An accident and injury can be confusing, painful, and overwhelming. Many times, when we fall, we are so embarrassed about what has happened that we are prone to say the wrong thing:
“I’m fine! I don’t need help!”
“It was my fault. I’m sorry.”
“I’m so clumsy—I should have seen it.”
While it is natural to say these things and common for injury victims to refuse help or medical attention, it also is important to understand that these statements can hurt your California slip and fall case—and your chances of holding the at-fault party responsible for damages.
What should you do after a fall accident and injury?
- Seek medical attention immediately. If you do nothing else, look after your health. Not only will getting to a hospital or doctor quickly add weight to a possible injury case, it also will ensure you are cared for in a timely manner. In addition, seeking immediate medical help can minimize long-term injuries and permanent health issues.
- Report the accident. Be sure to report what has happened to someone on the property and possibly to authorities. Do not go into too much detail about what happened and don’t blame yourself; the true cause of an accident often is not clear until all of the evidence is examined.
- Obtain witness information. If someone witnessed the accident, you don’t have to grill them on the spot, but be sure to get their name and contact information. It also is helpful to know who the manager was at the time of the accident (if applicable) and any other employees who reported to the scene.
- Collect evidence. Again, do this only if you are able or if someone is there to help you. Taking pictures of the hazard is a great step and one which has become increasingly easier with the rising popularity of camera phones.
- Write down your story. After your health has been seen to, take time to write down everything you remember as soon as you can after the accident. No detail is too small. Many people are surprised by what they can forget even a few days after an injury.
- Speak with an Orange County slip and fall attorney. Even if you are unsure whether you have a case, speaking with a personal injury attorney and sharing your story is a sure way to make certain you are taking all of the correct steps in the aftermath of your injury. If someone else is at fault, an attorney can help you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
To request a free consultation with the experienced injury attorneys at Russell & Lazarus, call (949) 851-0222.