In light of another recent car-pedestrian accident in Anaheim, our Orange County injury attorneys wanted to share some safety tips for both drivers and pedestrians. Not every California car accident can be avoided, but taking steps to increase your own safety and awareness will help keep everyone safer on the roads.
What Can Orange County Pedestrians Do?
Pedestrians often are seriously or fatally injured in accidents with cars, so it’s especially important to be cautious if you find yourself on-foot near roadways. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Don’t be distracted by electronics when walking near traffic. Put the smartphone away or take off the headphones so you are alert and aware of any danger.
- Make yourself visible to drivers by wearing reflective clothing and bright colors, especially at night.
- Cross at designated crosswalks, walk on sidewalks when possible, and always obey pedestrian safety rules.
- It should go without saying, but always look both ways before you cross—and never assume a driver will stop for you.
What Can Orange County Drivers Do?
Drivers always should be on the lookout for pedestrians, even in unexpected places. Here are some tips for those behind the wheel:
- Be on the lookout for pedestrians anytime you are behind the wheel, especially when making turns.
- Be especially cautious near schools, parks, hospitals, and other places where children or others may be likely to wander into the roadway.
- Yield to crossing pedestrians, and avoid blocking crosswalks with your vehicle.
- Obey the rules of the road, including speed limits, traffic signals, and appropriate passing.
- Never drive drunk.
If you were injured as a pedestrian in an Orange County car accident, speak with an experienced Orange County injury attorney to learn more about your rights. Call the Orange County injury attorneys with Russell & Lazarus today at (949) 851-0222, or simply fill out the online contact form on this page to learn more.