Car accident rates skyrocket around all of the major holidays, especially Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. What should be a time of joy and peace too often turns into a time of tragedy. Why are there more traffic accident injuries and fatalities around the holidays than at any other time of the year?
- Drinking and driving. The holidays are a time to celebrate, but they aren’t a reason to act irresponsibly. Unfortunately, far too many revelers overindulge during the holidays and make the dangerous and illegal decision to drive home.
- Fatigued driving. Many people travel long distances to visit friends and family—and, many drive at odd hours to beat the traffic or neglect to take regular driving breaks. The result is accidents caused by fatigue or falling asleep at the wheel.
- Distracted driving. Around the holidays, drivers might have a vanload of kids or relatives. Others might be talking with relatives on a cell phone or thinking about holiday drama. All of these distractions can take focus away from driving safely.
- Congested roads. Millions of people take to the highways and interstates on and around the holidays. More cars on the road mean more traffic and more traffic accidents.
- Poor weather conditions. While wintery conditions aren’t an issue in Southern California, snow and ice can be serious concerns in the mountains and in other regions of the country.
If you have been injured in a California car accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you could collect compensation for your losses, including your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering. At Russell & Lazarus, we offer injury victims free, confidential case evaluations by experienced Newport Beach car accident attorneys. To schedule your meeting, call us today at 885-851-2400.