Unborn babies die every year because of injuries to expectant mothers. In fact, it is estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that 32,800 pregnant women are involved in motor vehicle crashes every year.
Pregnant women must be especially vigilant about automobile safety in order to protect themselves and their unborn child. Following are six tips for expectant mothers to make car trips safer and easier.
- Wear a seat belt. Studies show it is the best way to protect your unborn baby in a car crash. Make sure to wear the seatbelt correctly every time you get into the car.
- Use the airbags. Airbags provide the highest level of protection for pregnant women when used along with a seatbelt that is worn correctly.
- Sit back as far as you can. If you are in a car accident, your injuries may be less severe if you are sitting farther away from the steering wheel. Position your steering wheel to maximize the clearance between your belly and steering wheel but be sure to aim it more towards your chest than your head.
- Stop and stretch. If you will be in the car for a long time, make sure to stop, use the restroom, and walk around frequently to increase blood circulation in your legs and help you to stay alert.
- Listen to your body. Do not get behind the wheel to take a trip if you are too tired—ask someone else to drive or postpone the trip until you feel rested. In addition, make sure to bring a drink and some snacks along in order to keep your blood sugar level and prevent lightheadedness and dizziness.
- Reduce distractions. Being pregnant is distracting enough—avoid driving in bad weather or heavy traffic if possible. Keep your eyes on the road and avoid eating, talking on your cell phone, and playing with the radio while you are driving.
The attorneys at Russell & Lazarus are committed to promoting automobile safety and urge expectant mothers to follow the six safety guidelines listed above in order to reduce the risk of injury to themselves or their unborn child. If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, contact a Moreno Valley car accident lawyer at Russell & Lazarus for a free consultation. The number is (949) 851-0222 and the call is free. Alternatively, you can download a free copy of their book, The Nuts and Bolts of Litigating a Personal Injury Claim, for more information.