If you have been injured in a Southern California truck accident, the chances are very likely that you are dealing with a lot of pain, as well as confusion about what to do. You most likely had to endure a hospital stay, are unable to work, and are trying to figure out who is going to pay for the medical bills that keep piling up as a result of the accident.
Depending on the severity of the accident and all of the aftermath that took place at the scene, you may not even know the name of the at-fault truck driver, let alone the company he works for. You are pretty sure that you have a claim against him, since the police department cited the truck driver and released you from any fault, but you have no idea on how to go about collecting compensation for the truck accident injury that the driver caused.
That is why the Orange County personal injury lawyers in our office have compiled a list of the top 5 steps to take after a California truck accident.
- Document everything about the accident scene. This means taking photographs of your vehicle and of the truck, as well as the exact location where it occurred. Gathering witness statements from anyone who saw the accident would also be helpful.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. You were probably taken to the emergency room by ambulance, but if you were not, it is imperative that you seek immediate medical attention and adhere to all of the directions that the doctors give you. This includes obeying the doctor if he keeps you off of work or sends you to physical therapy.
- Do not speak with the at-fault party’s insurance adjustor without first consulting an attorney. Also do not agree to give a recorded statement.
- Do not sign anything from the insurance company, especially a medical authorization or a settlement agreement.
- Gather all of your medical records and corresponding bills that are a result of the accident.
We understand that following these steps can seem difficult, but they must be done in order for you to prove your Orange County truck accident claim against the truck driver. The lawyers at Russell & Lazarus would be happy to do these for you. Simply call us at (949) 851-0222 or fill out our online form and we will schedule a complimentary case evaluation with you immediately.