As if the shock and panic of being involved in a car accident wasn’t enough, there are some con artists out there who may try to take advantage of the shaken victims of car accidents in Orange County. In some cases, individuals or criminal organizations may stage an accident with you to try to get you to pay for alleged injuries. In other cases, you may be contacted after an accident by con artists posing as doctors, attorneys, repair shops, and others who are out to take advantage of you after a wreck.
Here are some common accident fraud “red flags” and schemes:
- The claims report mentions passengers or witnesses that were not present at the time of the accident.
- You receive an unsolicited call from an auto repair shop, attorney, or medical provider who offers help after an accident.
- The driver caused the accident by suddenly hitting the brakes, ignoring traffic laws, or going out of his or her way to make you wreck.
- The other car was already damaged, or the other driver is on a temporary license.
- The driver talks you into giving or accepting cash at the scene or refers you personally to an auto shop, doctor, or other service.
While many of these staged auto accidents are intentionally minor, innocent victims are sometimes injured or lose a significant amount of money to scammers. To protect yourself, always be suspicious of any offer made at the scene of the wreck or any unsolicited offers of help, and immediately contact an attorney of your own choosing to guide you.
If you have been injured in a car accident in Orange County, do not accept payment, repair your car, or sign anything before you have consulted with an experienced personal injury attorney who can protect your rights. An Orange County auto accident attorney with Russell & Lazarus would be happy to discuss your situation in a completely free, no-obligation consultation and answer your questions. Please reach out to us today at 1-(949) 851-0222.