One moment, you are driving down the road minding your own business. The next moment, you are in a Riverside car accident. In a blink of an eye, everything changes. You may be frustrated, angry, or even injured. Being prepared and knowing what to do after a car accident can help you make the best of a bad situation and protect your rights. A Riverside car accident attorney recommends you follow the steps listed below to achieve the best possible outcome in the aftermath of the accident.
- Calm Down – It is important to be calm in the aftermath of an accident so that you can methodically follow the steps necessary to make sure everyone is safe and the car accident is thoroughly documented.
- Stay at the Scene – There are severe penalties associated with leaving the scene of an accident.
- Be Polite – Since the situation is already tense, it is important to be calm and polite to everyone at the accident scene. However, never admit fault for an accident—even if you believe you caused it.
- Call 911 – Immediately call 911 if anyone involved in the accident needs medical attention.
- Contact Police – Call the police to report the accident. If they will not work the accident scene, find out how to file a police report and then do so as soon as possible.
- Move Your Car – Move your car out of the way of approaching traffic if possible.
- Cooperate – Truthfully answer all questions asked by the investigating police officer as well as your insurance company but never admit fault for the accident. There are severe penalties associated with lying to the police or trying to defraud the insurance company.
- Obtain Contact Information – Make sure to get the name, address, phone number, car make and model, license plate number, insurance company and policy number, and driver’s license number from the other driver. Obtain contact information from anyone else who witnessed the accident.
- Take Pictures – Take photos of the car accident scene from several angles as well as some close up shots depicting the vehicle damage.
- Make a Sketch – Make a drawing of the accident scene and write down everything you remember about the accident.
- Call Your Insurance Company – Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to report the accident.
Following the 11 steps listed above will help you thoroughly document a Riverside car crash for the police and your insurance company. If you are plagued by injuries, lost work, expensive car repairs, or insurance companies trying to pressure you into a quick settlement, contact a Riverside car crash lawyer at Russell & Lazarus Personal Injury Attorneys for expert legal assistance. The toll free number is (949) 851-0222 and the consultation is free. You can also download a free copy of their book “The Nuts and Bolts of Litigating a Personal Injury Claim” for more information.